(x) Town and Fortress a Walkers Guide 2 Korsbrødregården
Unlike many other market towns in medieval Denmark Nyborg never had a monastery. The town, however, had a foundation of the Korsbrødre (whose monks wore black robes with a white cross, hence the Danish name "Brothers of the cross") - a branch of the Order of St.John in Antvorskov on Zealand. A few monks of this Order lived in the building, but they did not lead a real monastery life, and there was no church there.
Their fine brick building on the corner of Adelgade and Korsbrødregade is one of the oldest preserved houses in Nyborg. The corner house with the two vaulted basements probably stems from the 14th century. In 1614 the house was enlarged with the two storey building facing Adelgade. The complex had been taken over by Alderman Anders Hansen Scheffer, who added the coiled gables that now adorn the whole building. In 1650 Korsbrødregården was extended eastwards by the then owner, Alderman Jens Madzen. The courtyard facade was originally half-timbered, but is now brick like the street facade.